UCT Mastercard Foundation Scholarship for Masters is a program aimed at the transition of promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa.
CHECK: 2022 Nordic Africa Institute Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Program Fully-Funded
- Host Country: South Africa
- Study Abroad: Study in Africa
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Stipends | Accommodation | Airfare | Meals
- Deadline: April 30, 2022
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the program.
Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to return to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
ALSO CHECK: 2022 Mastercard Ideas Matter Fellowship for West African Students
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a postgraduate Master’s program (Research only) and prepare to commence with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Master’s postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for a Master’s postgraduate degree at any higher
- learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at UCT are eligible to apply
- for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards.
CHECK: 2022 DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship for Southern African Students
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The Foundation has offered scholarships for the full duration of the period of study,
- renewable annually and subject to satisfactory academic performance and demonstration
- of a track record of participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the Program
- and is not automatic.
- Where renewals are made, the eligibility of the applicant and the academic progress of the
- The scholar will be taken into consideration.
The scholarships will cover the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or
- residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; is to be used to cover ad hoc expenses for awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree program
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars
- Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development, and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
CHECK: 2022 Ban Ki-moon Global Citizen Scholarship Program for Young Africans
The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the POSTGRADUATE scholarship application form on the online application portal:
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport, or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two (2) A4 pages using the
- The following points as context:
- Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities
- Skills and interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Certified copies of all current and previous Tertiary education transcripts
- Two (2) different Academic Referee Reports
- Applicants are required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts
- And academic referee reports where English is not the primary language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the
- Recommendation on official institutional letterhead with the original signature,
- Stamp and date in support of the applicant
- Applicants are required to submit an essay, of no more than 2000 words
- Which provides a brief explanation of the applicant’s background /
- Circumstances and additional information using the following points as context:
- In which ways do you envisage contributing to the economic growth and social development of your country and Africa on completion of your studies, using your education as leverage?
- Explain any community service activities you have been involved in.
- List the qualities that, for you, define leadership and elaborate on leadership initiatives that you have undertaken.
- A police clearance certificate (less than 6 months old) or proof of application
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should click the button below to commence their application.
Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview and submit documentary evidence of the information provided on the scholarship application form.