The Government of Mauritius is awarding scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or African Commonwealth countries, as per the following criteria
For undergraduate programs, applicants should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by 22 August 2022.
2. For Master’s programs, applicants should not have reached 35 years and, for Ph.D. programs, applicants should not have reached 40 years by 22 August 2022.
3. Applicants must have already applied for a full-time on-campus program (Diploma, Degree, Master’s, or Ph.D.) at a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (listed in Section 8 in the appropriate Guidelines for Applicants) for the academic year starting in 2022.
Host Country: Republic of Mauritius
Study Abroad: Study in Africa
Category: Undergraduate Scholarships | Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | Ph.D. Scholarships
Eligible Countries: All African Countries
Reward: Full Scholarship
Deadline: August 22, 2022
Government of Mauritius Scholarships Details:
Applications for the Scholarships are to be made to the Nominating Agency in the applicant’s country of origin and are NOT to be sent directly to Mauritius by the applicant.
The Nominating Agency, which is typically part of the Ministry of Education, will select and nominate up to five (5) candidates for undergraduate programs (indicating the level of studies for each nominated candidate).
The Nominating Agency of the country of citizenship of the candidates, or the Ministry of Education, will subsequently transmit the application forms to Mauritius.
Government of Mauritius Scholarships Requirements:
Candidates must have:
- A minimum of five (5) credits at School Certificate (S.C), or General Certificate of Education (G.C.E) ‘O’ Level or International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), inclusive of credit in English Language or acceptable evidence of proficiency in the English Language ( as per para 1.3.3 below).
- Or (ii). Five (5) ‘O’ Level passes awarded by any other approved examining body deemed to be equivalent to (i) above, inclusive of a pass in English Language or acceptable evidence of proficiency in the English Language (as per para 1.3.3 below).
- Or (iii) Qualification equivalent to (i) above.
(a) A pass in English at A-level will be acceptable in place of English Language at ‘O’ Level.
(b) A pass at subsidiary level and/or ‘A’ Level or equivalent will be acceptable in place of a pass at ‘O’ Level as per (i) and (ii) above.
(c) Some diploma programs may have higher qualification requirements than (i) and (ii) and applications will be considered only for candidates meeting the minimum requirements of these programs.
(d) Candidates already holding a diploma will not be considered
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The scholarship will be for a maximum duration as indicated in the table below or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting their tuition fees and in contributing to their living expenses during their studies in Mauritius.
Furthermore, the scholarship covers a return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
Since in Mauritius only vaccinated students are granted access to higher education institutions, successful candidates will have to be vaccinated before coming to Mauritius. For successful candidates who cannot for medical purposes be vaccinated, they will be required to produce duly certified medical certificates.
To enter Mauritius, students must present a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure from their home country. Covid19 testing will be required upon arrival.
Guidelines for Applicants
This document contains important information regarding the conditions attached to the scholarship, the application procedure, and a list of public Higher Education Institutions in Mauritius where full-time on-campus studies are run.
- Application Form (Applicants are invited to fill in the form electronically before printing)
- Application for the scholarship can only be made on the application form, duly filled-in. Section 5 of the application form should be endorsed and completed by the Nominating Agency in the country of citizenship of the applicant.
- An application under this Scheme is to be made solely through the Nominating Agency responsible for the processing of scholarships in the country of citizenship of the applicant.
- Such Nominating Agency, which may typically be part of the Ministry of Education in the country of the applicant, will then shortlist and endorse the applications of a maximum of FIFTEEN (15) eligible candidates (five in each category of Undergraduate, Masters and MPhil/Ph.D.) and submit the duly completed application forms as per the table below:
Method of Application
An application under this Scheme is to be made solely through the Nominating Agency responsible for the processing of scholarships in the country of citizenship of the applicant.
Such Nominating Agency, which may typically be part of the Ministry of Education in the country of the applicant, will then shortlist and endorse the applications of a maximum of FIFTEEN (15) eligible candidates (five in each category of Undergraduate, Masters and MPhil/Ph.D.) and submit the duly completed application forms as per the table below:
- Deadline for electronic submission – 28 February 2022 / 15 August 2022
- Deadline for submission of hard copy – 07 March 2022 / 22 August 2022
- Applications, together with supporting documents as required should be forwarded to the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Mauritius at the address mentioned below, for a final selection.