Admission to an Australian university requires international students to start twelve months in advance. As part of this process, they should read up on ‘how to apply for a bachelor’s degree in Australia’, different courses, credit systems, tuition fees, eligibility criteria, etc. Also, students should read about the different regions where they plan to apply to get a better understanding of the locality, weather, part-time employment opportunities, and accommodation in Australia.
Intake Period for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
You should know when colleges and universities open their undergraduate admissions so you know when to apply for a bachelor’s degree in Australia. Australia offers two intake periods of admission to international students looking to earn a bachelor’s degree. There may be a different deadline or last date for submitting application forms for each university or college. Students are admitted based on their academic performance and availability of seats.
Admission to Australian universities is based on this intake. It takes place between September and December each year. In this intake, all major bachelor’s degree and postgraduate degree courses are admitted. Admission to Australian universities is simple and straightforward due to the availability of seats.
This is the second batch of students preparing for entry into Australian universities. Enrollment begins in April-May of the same year. The intake corresponds to India’s academic session. Students who missed the February intake for a bachelor’s degree in Australia can apply during this intake.
Academic Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Bachelor’s Degree in Australia
- To apply for a bachelor’s degree in Australia, the student must complete their 12th from a recognized board like CBSE, ISC, or State Board.
- In some bachelor’s degree programs, depending upon the university rules, students need to go for a selection test and oral assessment. For example, courses like medicine, oral health, dentistry, music may require a selection test for admission to Australian universities.
- Many universities calculate scores through the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for different courses. It’s a number that suggests a student’s academic position concerning all other students in his or her age group. An ATAR score in the range of 50-90 can help take a seat in a bachelor’s degree in Australia. The cut-off for the ATAR score is decided by the individual university.
English Proficiency Test-
This test is required by almost every Australian University for granting admission to a bachelor’s degree in Australia. For bachelor certificate and diploma programs, universities may give exemption from English proficiency tests. It’s better to check with the university regarding the same.
Types of English Proficiency Tests Accepted by Australian Universities
IELTS Academic – A popular English proficiency test for admission in Australian universities. It is accepted by almost every educational institute providing a bachelor’s degree in Australia. The test assesses English proficiency on four parameters, Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing (LSRW). A score of 6.0 -7.0 band with 5.5 bands in all the sections is acceptable by Australian universities.
TOEFL(IBT)- The test is accepted by the majority of Australian universities and colleges for admission to a Bachelor’s degree in Australia. It is an internet-based test and results are available in 6-8 days. A score in the range of 70-89 is acceptable for admission to Australian universities.
Pearson Test of English (PTE) – This test is also accepted by many universities and colleges in Australia for undergraduate degrees. It can be taken in 50 countries around the world, including India. The results are available within 2-3 days. For Australian universities, a score of 50-64 is considered good.
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria of each university in which they are applying to know about the minimum score required in academics, English proficiency test, and other terms and conditions for a Bachelor’s degree in Australia.
Documents Required to Apply for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
While filling out the application form for admission to Australian universities, the following documents are required: –
- Scanned copy of Passport Identification Page
- English Proficiency test certificate (IELTS/TOEFL)
- High School Certificates/mark sheets
- Academic transcripts
- Scholarship documents
- Marriage/change of name certificate
- Copy of correctly certified syllabuses of your subjects studied- to assess that your previous studies cover academic content required for a bachelor’s degree in Australia.
Scholarships Offered for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
Universities in Australia offer a good number of scholarships to international students wishing to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Academic excellence and merit are considered in awarding these scholarships.
Scholarships are available for 15%, 30%, and 50% of tuition. For more information on scholarships offered by Australian universities, check their websites when applying for admission.
Acceptance Agreement for Admission in Australian University
If your application is accepted for a bachelor’s degree in Australia by the university, you must read the offer statement and acceptance agreement carefully. It will have information about the following:-
- Course Name
- Duration of Course
- Start Date of Course
- Tuition Fee for the Course
- Acceptance and Payment Deadlines
- Any Conditions outlined by the university in your acceptance offer (regarding your documents, academic qualifications, or English proficiency test)
Acceptance of Agreement for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
- Conditional offer- If your acceptance letter has some conditions outlined, you should fulfill them or provide evidence of fulfilling those conditions to confirm your admission.
- Acceptance Agreement-Students should complete the acceptance agreement by marking their sign and date on each page of the agreement and forwarding it to the University. Some universities will ask you to click on the accept button on the acceptance agreement sent in your student’s account personal mail made during the application filling time.
- Payment of Tuition Fee- Tuition fee is paid online through credit/debit card for admission to Australian universities by international students.
- Personal Details -Students need to forward their details like a copy of their passport personal ID page to the university for issuing of COE (Confirmation of Enrollment) for a bachelor’s degree in Australia.
- COE (Confirmation of Enrollment)- This will be emailed to students once the university has received their complete acceptance offer and tuition fee deposit for admission to a bachelor’s degree at Australia University.
- Applying for Student Visa- Once COE is issued, Students need to contact their nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission to process the application for their Study Visa for a Bachelor’s degree in Australia.
Pre-Departure Checklist before Flying for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
The following list includes essential items required to fly to the new land for higher studies: –
- Australian Student Visa
- Booking of Plane Ticket
- Medical, optical, dental check-up
- Information about Australian Customs duty, Covid protocols, and Quarantine Information
- Arrangement for accommodation (for off-campus students)
- Sufficient amount of Australian Dollar in cash- for cab fare, SIM card, food, and other essentials on arrival.
- Documents and their photocopies – They include passport, letter of offer from the university, CoE (Confirmation of Enrollment), academic transcripts/mark sheets from the previous study, medical record, covid vaccine certificate, important contact numbers.
- Electronic Gadgets like laptops, mobile phones, chargers travel adapters, and voltage converters as power plugs and voltage are different in Australia.
Be sure to attend the orientation program organized by the university once you arrive in Australia for your bachelor’s degree. There will be information sessions, social activities, and networking opportunities. The orientation program aims to help students adjust to the new environment, classmates, and academic program for a bachelor’s degree in Australia.