According to a recent survey, truck driver jobs in Canada will be available with as many as 48,000 vacancies by 2024.
This is a piece of fantastic news for truck drivers, as it will provide an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to immigrate to Canada for this type of work.
However, there is still a high demand for long-haul truck drivers in the Canadian transportation industry. The Canadian government has also been supportive of all of these developments, providing work visas to eligible foreign employees seeking work as truck drivers in the country.
Truck Driver Job Requirements in Canada (With Visa Sponsorship)
Let’s look at the requirements for becoming a truck driver in Canada. This will inform you of the requirements for obtaining a visa sponsorship truck driver job in Canada as a foreigner.
RECOMMENDED: Easy Ways To Migrate to Canada
They include the following
- Truck driver jobs in Canada include permanent, full-time, overtime, weekend, day, night, and evening works.
- A secondary school diploma is preferred but not essential for this position.
- Heavy-duty driving expertise is a plus, but it is not essential.
- The ability to communicate in basic or functional English is necessary.
- Certificates, Licenses, memberships, courses, and other credentials will be required for this job.
- A valid driver’s license (Class 1 or A) is necessary, as well as the Air Brake (Z) Endorsement.
- Trucking and Equipment Types: Tractor-trailer, Flatbed, Refrigerated, Highway, Straight truck (4,600kg+ or 10,000lbs+ with 3+ axles).
- Safety and Security: Basic security clearance, criminal background check, driving record check (abstract), medical examination, and drug test are all required.
- Information about transportation and travel: Willing to travel throughout Canada and the United States. Willing to travel during the day, evening, or night, including overnight routes, and willing to travel for long periods.
- Other: Candidates must be legally permitted to work in Canada and willing to operate in a two-person team to drive long-haul trucks.
- Ability to operate and drive straight or articulated trucks for the transportation of products and supplies.
- Cargo loading and unloading, tarping, and guaranteeing cargo safety and security
- Ability to plan your trip routes and schedules.
- You should have the ability to use atlases and other planning tools to help you plan your journey.
- Receive information and relay it to the central dispatcher.
- The ability to drive in a convoy or as part of a two-person squad.
- You should also be able to examine the vehicle’s condition and inspect the tires, lights, brakes, cold storage, and other equipment.
RECOMMENDED: How to Apply for a Bachelor Degree in Australia
Top Provincial Programs in Canada for Truck Driver Jobs
Here is the rundown of the leading programs to find a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada:
British Columbia is a provincial program for truck drivers in Canada is
A full-time job offer in long-haul trucking is the gold standard for candidates in British Columbia’s entry-level and semi-skilled category, which has over 400 positions on the job bank. Long-haul drivers can live in the province permanently. Learn more about immigration in British Columbia by visiting their website at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
With 837 job ads now available, Quebec leads the way in terms of provincial opportunities for truck drivers. According to information on the Quebec government’s employment website, truck driver employment prospects are ‘excellent’ with their platform.
Access the Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
RECOMMENDED: How To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
In July 2019, the NOC code for transport truck drivers (7511) was added to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream, along with three other occupations.
It means that experienced truck drivers who have a work offer in Ontario can follow a defined path to permanent residence in Canada. Learn more about immigration at https://www.immigration.ca/en/ontario-immigration.html.
Long-haul truckers are another in-demand profession under the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program, with over 500 job openings on the employment bank. Both the Alberta Opportunity Stream and Alberta Express Entry are open to truck drivers.
Employers in Manitoba who want to hire truck drivers should go through the federal Labor Market Impact Assessment for Temporary Foreign Workers process. The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program only permits businesses to hire outside of the LMIA procedure if certain criteria, such as recruitment efforts and compliance with provincial labor laws, are met.
Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.
Newfoundland and Labrador
This is a province in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Labor Market Outlook 2025 report in Newfoundland and Labrador highlights truck driving as an occupation that will require significant immigration to meet job vacancy demand. For the NLPNP’s Skilled Worker and Express Entry streams, trucking companies must apply to be eligible employers.
For people already working in Canada on a work permit, Saskatchewan Immigration has a separate Long-Haul Truck Drivers Sub-Category. The occupation also qualifies for the province’s Express Entry and Occupations-in-Demand categories, which each target certain occupations.
Transport Truck Drivers (NOC 7511) are one of two target jobs in the Nova Scotia Nominee Program’s Occupations In-Demand Stream. This provides a clear road to permanent residence for drivers.
Through this program, you can hope to get a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada.
RECOMMENDED: How to Write a Graduate School Resume: 6 Expert Tips
Wages for Truck Drivers in Canada
Hourly wages for truck drivers are now competitive with national and provincial averages.
The median wage of truck drivers, according to the job bank and Statistics Canada data, is slightly lower than the national average, but it can soar to more than $8 above the national average, or $32 per hour, in certain circumstances.
Wages for truck drivers are expected to rise as labor market demand rises in the coming years.
If you’re looking for a truck driver job in Canada with visa sponsorship for foreigners, you’ve come to the right place. This article discussed these opportunities as well as the various programs that provide them.